Sunday 20 July 2014

Sleigh bed

http://uk.pinterest.com/pin/117234396525204076/

Once we had moved the metal bed and computer desk out of the second bedroom I started to think about what I would like to replace it with. I knew that I definitely wanted the room to still be a bedroom so I started looking around for a bed. I had seen a few pictures of sleigh beds recently and thought that one of these would look just right in the freshly painted second bedroom.


After scouring eBay for a few weeks, I had a couple that I was interested in. After ruling a few really lovely ones out due the head and foot board size (some were almost two metres high which would have dwarfed the room). I came across this lovely pine Scandinavian sleigh bed.
I really liked the turned finals and the simple style of this bed.

 

The only thing was that it the brackets fixing the side boards to the head board were broken, after consulting with my Dad (he can fix anything!) over whether it could be easily fixed or not I managed to haggle the price down and in a couple of days my husband and I were manoeuvring the pieces into the back of our car and driving down the motorway. It then languished in the second bedroom for a few weeks while we waited for our builder (who is also a carpenter) to come over and fix it for us. After that my husband installed some bed slats and the job was finished!


It still needs some large squashy cushions to make it more inviting as a sofa/day bed when we don't have guests and I need to decide how I am going to cover the mattress when it is not in use but for now I'm pleased with how it looks. It will be getting it's first road test in a matter of days when my sister and Mum come down to stay. I think Mum has already said she will be staying in the garden room so my sister will be in the sleigh bed so it'll soon be made up with a pillows and quilts. I hope she finds it comfy!

13 comments:

  1. What a lovely find!Should it be the other way around to use comfortably as a sofa? Can't wait to see it with all the cushions,you have such good taste! Kind regards Pam.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great find . It goes perfectly in your room.
    Rosezeeta.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is a stunning bed and looks just right in the room - I love a man who can fix things!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, I just love your find! So pretty. How nice that you actually have two guest rooms in your little cottage.

    Isabella

    ReplyDelete
  5. Charlotte, that is such perfect find. Worth the wait and extra fixing.
    I'm sure your sister will feel like a very special guest when visiting.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a lovely find Charlotte. I am sure your sister will enjoy staying in your guest room. All your effort looks amazing. Your home and garden room are so beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a lovely bed and room! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. What beautiful lines it has, so simple and yet elegant.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yours is very similar to one at my store which came from Holland! Your cottage is looking very darling!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Perfect! You can't beat a sleigh bed for style. I bet you can't wait to dress it up with cushions!
    Julie x

    ReplyDelete
  11. A great find! Looks perfect in there!

    ReplyDelete