Monday 24 July 2017

Hello!


It's been a while! I lost my blogging mojo for a bit, I think the fact that this blog was really supposed to be about our cottage renovations meant that when the majority of those were done I pretty much ran out of steam. That, combined with starting a new job meant that I just had less and less time for blogging and when I did have time I couldn't really think of anything to write. I'm a perfectionist (a trait I share with my Dad who trained to be a chef, amongst his many other talents and trades!) and I would often compare my writing to other people's blogs and just think - "uggh, why isn't my writing more interesting/engaging/funny?!"

Anyway, service is hopefully resuming but it will be a little bit ad-hoc. The reason for this is that I am starting a business! I know, probably not the best timing - did I mention mention that I am back studying as well? They say good things come in threes, so let's hope that's the case for me!


Back in March this year, my husband and I visited Essaouria in Morocco. We had visited Marrakech back when we were first married, and to be honest I wasn't overly keen on the thought of going back. Marrakech is beautiful, but it was so busy and the constant hassling from traders and tourist touts got quite wearing after a few days.


But Essaouria was completely different, for a start it's right by the sea so you get a cooling breeze all year round. It is much smaller and so when we visited in March it was very quiet, no jostling along the narrow and winding passages and bazaars! It has a much more laid back attitude and although there isn't a huge amount to see we were just happy to wander around and soak up the atmosphere. The old part of Essaouria is surrounded by centuries-old fortified ramparts and has a long history as a trading post with Portguese and French influences.


One of my goals while we were there was to procure a Beni Ouarain rug for our sitting room. I had seen a few photos of them in very stylish settings and in a few eyewateringly expensive shops, so I was hoping that they might be more reasonably priced in Morocco. I was very concerned about being ripped off, so I made sure that I did my research and after wandering around for a bit, we managed to find one that fitted our room and our wallets! Here's a photo of it in situ - I moved the old carpenters chest that we use for a coffee table from the middle of the carpet to take this shot.


And that would be the end of the story... but after being back in the UK for a week or so I decided that I was going to set up a business selling Moroccan carpets and accessories. I had enjoyed learning about the different types of carpets so much and dipping in and out of the labyrinth of passages and bazaars finding them that I decided to give it a try. After some thought I came up with a name (Berberouche - which as far as I know doesn't mean anything, I liked the word Berber and Babouche and when I put them together that is what I came up with!), sourced my stock, got postcards and business cards printed, set up some social media accounts and booked a stand at the Summer Country Brocante in June.


The response I got was the encouragement I needed to set up a website which will be launching this week! This post is a bit of a whistle-stop tour of what I've been up to in the year and a bit I've been away. Thanks to those who were kind enough to say you missed my posts! I hope you will stick with me! Please do stop by to have a look at my new website and if you are on Instagram and interested to keep track of my progress with this, please follow me @berberouche

20 comments:

  1. Nice to be back and beautiful pictures. Groeten Wilma

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Well done, nice to have you back and Good Luck! Jane x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I looked many times if you were back, because I like your blog a lot. So good for you to start new things. Always exiting!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kit & Kaboodle is a luxurious, the best and famous Interior design in Pakistan, our interior designing company provides the best Interior design solutions in Pakistan. We promise to offer tasteful interior decor products that furniture Shipping Information is in line with the popular international trends and keeping the unique taste of our clients as a priority ever Celebrate remarkable interiors for a delightful experience. the latest chandeliers designs in Pakistan, our latest coffee table, sofa set design and sofa set, Chandelier and wall Lights in Pakistan and gives a corporate look in your interior.

    ReplyDelete
  5. DigisolHub UK
    Digisol Hub is a Digital Marketing & Tech. Company, that provides solutions regarding website development, SEO, Social Media Marketing, Google Ads, and Graphics designing, App development, Software development, Website Development. We just want to solve the problems of the people by using the right digital marketing strategy and give them Value so that they can build their business in the Online world

    ReplyDelete
  6. "Thank you for nice information
    Please visit our website unimuda and uhamka"

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations on your article, it was very helpful and successful. e90200803c54062eff5c38eeb357f60f
    website kurma
    numara onay
    website kurma

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for your explanation, very good content. 68774f4656d3669dc59301b3903e1c55
    define dedektörü

    ReplyDelete