Sunday 16 June 2013

Sprautumn


I'm not sure if I quite like the term Sprautumn, it does sound like something you would be served in a small Bavarian town probably by someone in leider-hosen and with a side-helping of sauerkraut. But it certainly fits the weird mix of Spring-like sunny spells mixed with Autumnal windy wet weather we have been having lately. I'm very glad I was disciplined and got my new plants in the ground last weekend after my buying session rather that trying to wrestle them into the soil against the gale force winds we've been having today!


For the most part, I managed to stick to my shopping list. Apart from the above three which were impulse buys! I splurged on this sky-blue delphinium, which will no doubt be a feast for the slugs and snails but it was too beautiful to resist. It was quickly followed by Brizia maxima which has really pretty seed heads, they are starting to open out a bit more now, but when closed, to my eye they look like little hearts. I also picked up an Amsonia, which I'd never heard of before but drew my in by it's delicate delft-blue star shaped flowers.


Remember my bare root roses purchased back in April? I was rather worried that come summer I would be pulling up two dried out thorny sticks from my garden but they have taken very well and I already have quite a few buds on Harlow Carr. Napoleon's Chapeau is a bit more reluctant, with quite a few leaves but no buds as of yet - perhaps I should go and sing it a stirring rendition of La Marseillaise.


I always like taking quite a few shots of the garden so that I can compare the photos to ones I took this time last year, and hopefully the years to come! The bees are enjoying my alliums and Valerian, I'm always pleased to see bees in the garden and the ones with the little fluffy bodies always looks so cute. We have some large looking figs ripening on the tree, I hope we get some nice sunny weather soon to sweeten them up!


And finally, my customised hat from Gil Fox arrived - it's gorgeous and I'm thrilled with it. I'm even thinking about putting a hook up on a wall somewhere so that I can have it on display all year - it's too pretty to put away in a box. Gil did mention that she was hoping to see a photo of me wearing it so que a cringe-inducing photo of yours-truly wearing said hat. When taking this photo I found out that it is very difficult to take your own portrait and since Holly and Ivy don't have opposable thumbs (much to their chagrin) I had to be inventive! Now I just need the weather to wear it in!


14 comments:

  1. Love your garden, it is inspiring me to do something different with ours once we have completed our indoor work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful garden and such a gorgeous hat...I'm thinking Virgina Woolf...so stunning! Please post a link to this lovely custom made hat. I was digging in the garden yesterday in what seemed like gale force winds but managed to do some planting despite it all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sharon,
      Thank you - I've just added the link to Gil's website.
      Charlotte

      Delete
  3. I really love your garden Charlotte, and I can appreciate what a good idea to keep taking photos is - I must try harder ;o)
    We've been out for a drive this afternoon and came across a splendid plant nursery, I was very tempted with a pale blue delphinium too, but slugs win the battle here I'm afraid. I have a Brizia, which was in the 'reduced' area last year looking a little sorry for it's self but it's come on leaps and bounds now and has those gorgeous seed heads at the moment. Watch out though as Holly & Ivy may well be having a sly nibble at it, my cat can hardly resist it!
    I love the look of the Amsonia - I don't recall seeing one before, I shall be keeping a look out now.
    I love the hat, it really suits you. Yes, I would certainly have it on display :o)
    Have a great week.
    Rose H
    x

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, the hat is gorgeous, I see you having tea at Downton Abbey :))
    Your garden is so beautiful, it's such a pleasure to follow the seasons' change in your blog!
    I only wish you publish more cats pictures please!!!
    Maria

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Maria,
      Thank you for your kind words. Yes, I do need to do a Holly and Ivy post soon! Although if you look closely at the large garden photo in the 4th collage you can just see Holly lying down near the grow house!
      Charlotte

      Delete
  6. Hi, I love the new plants in your beautiful garden,and you look so pretty in your hat,I don't suit hats at all so I'm quite envious!!Have a good week kind regards Pam.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Charlotte

    love the photo ....perfect ...and the hat looks great!

    gil x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your garden is very nice and hat is even more :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Charlotte
    What a lovely photo and like you I would be very reluctant to put it away - I love her hats, hope to see you soon.
    jill x

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm very behind on my blog reading at the moment as you can most probably tell. Just had to leave a comment on this particular post though to say hello. It is lovely to be able to put a face to the blog :) x x x x x

    ReplyDelete
  11. A lovely hat!

    Yes - definitely needs to be displayed on the wall.

    ReplyDelete