Sunday 22 February 2015

Paintings

I always have a list of things to look out for when I am out and about going to vintage markets or antique fairs and one of the items that is always on my list is old paintings. I love the timeworn patina on these old pictures and am always on the hunt for a pretty still-life although I do like landscapes too.
One of the first ones I found was at the Love Lane Summer Brocante a few years ago in Plumpton Racecourse. It is a lovely pastel of a bunch of flowers in a jug, it is not pristine but for me that is all part of the charm. I find I am always drawn to blues and pinks and I think the relaxed informal-ness of these paintings really delightful.


My next find was a lovely painting of pears in a dish by the very talented Penny German. I actually saw her paintings on Charlotte Supple's stall at the Country Living fair a few years ago, but someone else bought the picture that I was after. Later on, I contacted Penny German and she very kindly agreed to paint a similar picture for me. I love the pink rimmed dish, sprigged wallpaper and delicious greenness of the pears.


For Christmas, I was lucky enough to receive this pretty little oil painting from my husband of a little jar of stocks or maybe they are sweet williams. It is French and is a lovely little size, I love the colours and that they artist has included some little blooms at the base of the jar which had fallen off their stems.


My latest purchase almost didn't happen. I spied it on French eBay about 30 minutes before the end of the auction and ummed and ahhed over it for a while and then decided I would go for it. I put in my maximum bid, but didn't get it. I tried not to be too disappointed as I knew I wouldn't have wanted to pay too much for it but was a bit sad that I had missed out. A day or so later I received an email from the seller offering me the painting - the buyer had decided that they didn't want it. I took it as a sign that it was meant to be and soon it was winging it's way from Paris over to London.


It is a departure from my usual pink and blue! When it arrived it was in a gilt frame which didn't quite fit, so I gently eased out the tacks holding the canvas into the frame and removed it. I think it looks much better without. I have propped it up on our dining room mantle piece, I really like the simple white blossom with apples and pears and the faded aqua background. So there you have it, my painting purchases so far. It's funny how most of my purchases have followed a theme without my really being aware of it but no doubt there will be a few more additions to come!


13 comments:

  1. Good Morning Charlotte, These works are all so lovely. They have such a charm to them that just is so mellow and calming. So very elegant and pretty. I love your little newsprint heart bunting, too. Here's wishing you a day filled with peace and love.
    Your blogging sister,
    Connie :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Charlotte they're lovely - especially that last one - it was obviously meant to be yours! Jane x

    ReplyDelete
  3. THese are all lovely paintings and I would certainly have them in my house to enjoy. you were meant to have the French one! I have a lovely one of sweet peas and like you prefer it without a frame. It is in my kitchen and I love to look at it every day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. They are all beautiful paintings, I especially like the painting of the sweet williams in a vase. They all look charming without frames. What a lovely collection you have.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your lovely paintings really brightened up a dull rainy day,I like the one your hubby gave you it is so very pretty.I didn't know there was a French Ebay!! Kind Regards Pam.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congrats on your ebay win! It was definitely worth the little bit of extra $$. Your painting collection is quite beautiful - the pears are particularly stunning!
    www.queenbcretiveme.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love your beautiful paintings, but the last one is so special, really beautiful and looks quite old by the look of the canvas. I wonder if the frame was original or a copy and hope you find somewhere lovely to hang the frame. Sharon

    ReplyDelete
  8. The last painting is a hit, you are very lucky to have it! The pears in the plate is gorgeous too.

    Domestic cleaning Battersea

    ReplyDelete
  9. You inspire me with these paintings, makes that I want to find a few myself :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I don’t know how should I give you thanks! I am totally stunned by your article. You saved my time. Thanks a million for sharing this article.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Management/ Business Literature/ Communication Financial Management/ Financial accounting Philosophy/Psychology Arts/Humanities Medical/ Nursing IT/ Computer Science **The writer must be able to produce around 5-6 pages a day. https://imgur.com/a/nJupIFF https://imgur.com/a/BtPjwpf https://imgur.com/a/hqTHXi5 https://imgur.com/a/NcC8l7L https://imgur.com/a/JXLpjLg https://imgur.com/a/jjYp5TM https://imgur.com/a/0G1VpYk

    ReplyDelete