Quite literally! After a visit from the local council building regulations officer, we were informed that the reclaimed slates we planned to use on the roof could not be installed at the current roof angle. He suggested a couple of very expensive alternatives and after consultation with our builder we decided to increase the height of the roof by a few degrees in order to be able to use the lovely reclaimed Welsh slate tiles that we had sourced back in December.
So much for getting the roof sorted! We had to take off all the rafters and insulation and start all over again! This project is starting to feel like it is taking forever! Apologies for anyone who was hoping to see some pretty pictures, it's going to be rubble and brieze blocks for a while yet!
I always forget how stressful building work can be, we were in the fortunate position of not having to live in the cottage when we did our first set of home improvements.
The build never runs to schedule, or budget! Layers of dust and dirt covers everything, even things covered by dust sheets and my house cleaning regime has become a distant memory!
But, I do still find it an exciting process - seeing something new most evenings when I come home from work. And at least it is spring; my daffodils - transplanted and a bit dusty are doing their best to bring a little bit of nature back to the building site that was my garden.