Sunday 28 April 2013

Spring!


Finally! Spring seems to have arrived, we had some gloriously warm days earlier last week, with highs of 19 degrees. Which had everyone reaching for their sandals only to be plunged back into the early teens within the next few days, the weather can be such a tease!


The combination of warmth and wet (it rained lots yesterday) seems have kicked the garden into high gear and you can practically hear the sap rising. I've been pottering about in the garden almost every weekend and as a result my little grow house is bursting at the seams with foxglove, alpine strawberry, cucumber, tomato, tobacco plant, nigella seedlings and quite a few more. Plus a few geranium cuttings which I bravely took a week or so ago (with absolutely no idea what I was doing).
Seedlings also seem to be pushing through the soil at a startling pace which does make for some very lazy gardening - I'm currently on the "no-weeding whatsoever" approach as my flower markers have been strewn about the garden by Holly and Ivy and as a result I now have no idea whether the fresh green shoots are weeds or not!


I was also determined to replace the black glass and plastic garden furniture we have had in the garden since we moved in. A quick scout round eBay resulted in this lovely old French table and set of four folding chairs. My head is filled with lots of ideas for chair cushions to make them a bit more comfortable. But I am in two minds as to whether I should paint them or not. I quite like the rusty rustic finish and don't think I would like them to be too pristine looking. But I would also like this set to last and don't want the rust to do any damage. Plus I do wonder what they would like look like in a slightly lighter shade...


Oh and just in case anyone was wondering - we will be submitting our garden room plans to the Planning office so fingers crossed!

10 comments:

  1. Your garden is looking lovely, all fresh and green, I love your little woodland corner,
    I have just spotted a white honesty plant growing in my garden, yours is looking so pretty
    I know how you feel my little grow house is bursting too, everything is waiting for the warm weather (including me)
    Kind Regards
    Thea x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rust is nice so don't repaint them Charlotte.... A squirt of WD40 on the rusty bits will darken them and protect them. Fingers crossed with your plans, it can be a little stressful waiting for a decision.
    Julie x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your garden is looking lovely! Everything has started to grow in our garden too in the last few weeks, and the sunshine is so welcome. The hail we had at the weekend reminded us that its still spring though! I love your chairs...

    Liz
    x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fingers crossed all round for you.
    Your garden is looking splendid!
    Rose H
    x

    ReplyDelete
  5. The garden is looking lovely, good luck with the planning application!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi,what a pretty garden,the table and chairs set is just gorgeous!TTFN Pam.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! Beautiful spring blooms, the flowers for love.. Great pics!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. For a garden room, how about a beach hut (in kit form)? With a wood burning stove you could use it for most of the year.

    ReplyDelete
  9. "The weather can be such a tease" indeed! The sun has been shining today but the wind blowing a gale as well, making it very unpleasant to be outside. Your garden is looking wonderfully well organized. I've been looking at your earlier postings and am now wondering if you are going to join the club and become addicted to roses!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Spring is my favourite time of the year so pretty I love all the blossoms and new life x

    ReplyDelete